The North Providence Housing Authority owns and manages six developments which house 146 units. Two of the developments have been designated elderly-only and two are mixed elderly/disabled developments. Two developments are family developments that are part of the Section 32 Home Ownership Program.
As of August 1, 2017, all North Providence Housing Authority buildings and grounds are smoke free.
The North Providence Housing Authority (NPHA) is currently accepting Public Housing waiting list applications for senior/disabled individuals.
Please note: The NPHA does not offer a Public Housing program for families.
The Housing Authority provides federally subsidized housing to persons whose household incomes range from very low, low, and moderate incomes. Tenant's affordable rent is based on 30% of their adjusted income. The Housing Authority also has a flat rent for each unit based on the local unsubsidized housing market.
2022 Income Limits
|Number of Persons||Low Income||Very Low Income||Extremely Low Income|
You may apply in person at 945 Charles Street, North Providence, RI. Any applicant, who has a physical/mobility impairment that would prevent him/her from picking up an application, may contact us at (401)-728-0930 for an application to be received in the mail. Individuals requesting interpreter services for the hearing impaired may also call Relay RI-711.
Allendale Manor is located at 511 Woonasquatucket Avenue consists of 24 one-bedroom units. This is an elderly disabled community.
Charles Street Manor consists of 30 studio and one-bedroom apartments. This is an elderly/disabled community.
Allendale Manor consists of 24 one-bedroom units. This is an elderly disabled community.
Sunset Terrace has 70 apartments consisting of studio and one bedroom apartments. This is an elderly only community.
Marieville Manor has 8 elderly handicap accessible units.
The 10 units consist of two, three, and four bedroom units. Wentworth Apartments are part of the Section 32 Homeownership Program.
The 4 units consist of two and three bedrooms. Andover Apartments are part of the Section 32 Homeownership Program.
Section 32 Homeownership Program
- Eligible purchasers may earn up to, but not exceed 80% of Area Median Family Income(see below)
- Eligible purchasers must not exceed 35% of their monthly-adjusted income to cover monthly mortgage interest and principle, 1/12 of taxes and 1/12 of insurance
- Must be a first time homebuyer
- The dwelling that is to be purchased under this program must be the perspective buyers principle residence
- Must be credit worthy or become credit worthy within a 12 month period. Must be able to pay a down payment of 1% of the purchase price of said property, and this down payment must be contributed from the applicants own funds. (Budgeting and money management assistance provided by the Homeownership Coordinator will lead to the perspective by the perspective buyer accomplishing this)
- Must be willing to receive counseling, training, and technical assistance to lead you through the process of becoming a homeowner under the homeownership program
- Must be working full time for a period of at least 15 months or very close to meet expectation
- Must be able to afford a mortgage of at least $35,000
- Must be ready and willing to reside in the peoperty as a tenant for at least 6 months, before the actual purchase of said property takes place
Advantages to Homeownership:
- Over time, the mortgage balance decreases and equity builds
- There can be tax advantages(deduction of mortgage interest and property taxes)
- Ability to redecorate the home to match your needs and desires
- Not dependent on landlord to maintain property
Median Family Income Limits as Follows:
|Family Size||Income Limit|
|2 person family||$52,400|
|3 person family||$58,950|
|4 person family||$65,500|
|5 person family||$70,750|
|6 person family||76,000|
|7 person family||$81,250|
|8 person family||$86,500|